With the New Year upon us it is time to plan our Small Business Goals. Time to look at the big picture, the picture that has us at the end of the year looking back at where it all began. Yes you do need to start somewhere and start sometime so why not now? Forget all the excuses that are now swimming around in your head, lets just take one step at a time and you will be an expert at how to set goals for the new year.
The Process of Setting Goals
To set goals for your small business you need a plan. A method of determining and developing a process that will assist you in achieving the end result. This process formalizes your ideas, giving your thoughts some structure and means to quantify the reason you are in small business. By drawing up a framework you establish a direction for your small business. Start by asking yourself;
- Where is my small business now?
- Where do I want my small business to be in twelve months time?
- How do I get my small business there.
The Small Business Audit
Lets tackle “where is my business now. This is your small business audit, be truthful and trust in yourself. Write down the answers to these questions.
- How do my customers view my small business? If you do not know start asking. eg: Thank you for coming in today, I am hoping you can help me out as I would like to improve the services we provide, how do you view my small business?
- What is my competitive advantage? My niche, what do I do differently then anyone else?
- Who is my support team?
- What are my biggest obstacles?
- Who will be my customer? (customer demographics)
Now what do you want to achieve, where do you want your small business to be in twelve months? Take a step back, some quiet time and visualize your small business in twelve months time. Have a set date. eg: On the 1st January 2013 my small business (insert name here) will have an established blog post enabling my customers to stay in touch with current industry trends. This part is your Vision Statement (On the 1st January 2013 my small business (insert name here) will have an established blog post) and this part is your Goal (enabling my customers to stay in touch with current industry trends). Congratulations you now have your first goal and date for the goal to be achieved.
Your Second Set Of Goals
If you want a successful small business, and I know you do as you are still reading this post, you require two sets of Goals for the New Year. The second set are your personal goals. Your personal goals need to be in alignment with your small business goals. When this happens the motivation to achieve and stay on target for the end result will be unstoppable.
Achieving Small Business Goals
This is the fun part, the part where you get your hands dirty and are paid for doing something that you love . This is how you achieve your set goals for the New Year. Start with an action plan, follow the below steps.
- List your goals.
- Gather information. eg: Obstacles and how to overcome them.
- Analise this information.
- Prepare your first plan of attack. (Step by step)
- Review your plan of attack.
- Gather extra information required.
- Prepare final action plan.
- Seek assistance from your support team.
- Implement your small business action plan.
- Monitor progress throughout the year.
- Celebrate success.
Well this all seems achievable, we now know what we want, when we want to achieve it and how we will get it. We know How to Set Goals for the New Year.
Five Small Business Treasures
- If you want something to happen take Action.
- One of the most time effective ways to get something done is to take time out and plan your course of action (objectives).
- Visualize the end result.
- Follow your plan one step at a time.
- Now you know how to set goals for the New Year , do point one. Action takers are success makers.
Regards for this post, I am a big big fan of this internet site would like to keep updated.
To keep up with our posts go to the home page and subscribe to our RSS feed. 🙂